Bio Identical Hormone Therapy in La Jolla, CA
Shumway Cosmetic Surgery, accredited by the Joint Commission and awarded the Gold Seal of Approval which reflects our commitment to excellence and quality patient care, offers bio-identical hormone replacement therapy to local residents requiring cosmetic surgery.
Problems sleeping? Anxiety? Mood swings? Hot flashes? If you are having symptoms such as these, the cause may be something that you haven’t considered – an imbalance of hormones. But what exactly are hormones and why can they have such a tremendous impact on your quality of life? Hormones are biochemicals that are produced by the glands in your body, and their role is to regulate you physiologically and emotionally. It’s no wonder, then, why you feel tired, depressed, edgy and so many other things when your hormonal balances are out of whack.
What is Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy?
As you age, your body produces fewer hormones, and this can cause an imbalance in your system. Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy helps regulate your hormone levels by increasing the amount of certain hormones that are available to your body, such as testosterone, estrogen, progesterone, thyroid, DHEA and melatonin.
Why are Hormone Levels Important?
- Low testosterone levels have been linked to many medical conditions in men, such as obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure. In women, testosterone may cause irregular periods, body hair, high blood pressure, hair loss, infertility and obesity.
- Without proper estrogen levels, you are at risk for developing weak bones, high cholesterol, excess fat and low levels of estrogen can also lead to gastrointestinal, lung and sexual problems.
- Low progesterone levels in women can lead to infertility and complications during pregnancy and may indicate issues with the adrenal gland or the presence of certain types of cancer.
- Hormones produced by your thyroid help regulate your mood, weight and energy levels, and low thyroid hormone levels have been linked to depression.
- DHEA supplements have been shown to help with obesity, depression, adrenal insufficiency and lupus. DHEA has also been linked to improved skin, especially in older people, as well as to help treat sexual dysfunction in men and women and to improve symptoms associated with osteoporosis and certain mental health conditions.
- The hormone melatonin helps regulate your wake/sleep cycle and supplementing your melatonin levels may help with insomnia, jet lag and even chronic cluster headaches.
Is Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Right for Me?
Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy is something that you should definitely discuss with your doctor, as there are serious complications that can result from improper usage. When you meet with Dr. Shumway, let him know your entire medical history and any current symptoms that you may be experiencing, even if you are not confident that the symptoms are related to changes in your hormonal balances. He will provide you with professional guidance regarding the benefits and risks of bio-identical hormone replacement therapy and recommend the treatment protocol that is right for you.
Why Choose Dr. Shumway?
Shumway Cosmetic Surgery is dedicated to the aesthetic enhancement of our patients through laser and cosmetic surgery procedures, as well as improving your quality of life. Our office is conveniently located in beautiful La Jolla-which is in the San Diego area of Southern California. Successful bio-identical hormone replacement therapy is not a “one size fits all” treatment and Dr. Shumway evaluates each patient personally and considers the bio-identical hormone replacement therapy that will provide exceptional results with minimal side effects.
How Does Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Work?
Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy increases the amount of hormones in your system to healthier levels. The hormones can be delivered in a range of applications, such as skin patches and gel, oral tablets or pills, creams and nasal sprays.
You should be patient with yourself as your body adjusts to the changes in hormonal levels, and always discuss your concerns with Dr. Shumway so that he can effectively monitor your progress and make any necessary adjustments. You may experience some side effects, such as bloating, water retention, headaches, nausea, breast tenderness, mood swings and other issues. Let Dr. Shumway know when you have these symptoms and also how well you are managing them. The goal of bio-identical hormone replacement therapy is to help you feel better, not to add to the symptoms that you have already.
How Much Does Hormone Replacement Therapy Cost in San Diego and La Jolla, CA?
The cost of your bio-identical hormone replacement therapy will depend on the type of therapy, as well as frequency of treatment. Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy may be covered by your insurance. Should your insurance not cover treatment, we offer payment plans and work closely with CareCredit™ to help you with the cost of your hormone replacement therapy.