Have you ever wondered how your favorite celebrities have such flawless complexions, even as they age? Look at Halle Berry, for example. She’s practically a superhuman. At 49 years old, Halle isn’t just an A-list actress; she’s also a film producer, a cosmetics spokeswoman, and a mom. How does she manage to have such clear and youthful skin despite her stressful schedule? While she’ll never tell, Halle likely owes her enviable glow to chemical peels.
Every day, thousands of our cells die and are replaced with new cells from beneath the skin. Unfortunately, as we age, this process slows down. As a result, we’re left with a dull complexion that makes us appear older and tired. That’s where a chemical peel comes in. Ideal at any age, this skin revitalizing treatment is the perfect solution for anyone who wants to restore a healthy, youthful glow.
At Shumway Cosmetic Surgery in San Diego, we can help you reverse years of sun damage, acne and aging with MicroPeel®. This safe and effective three-step chemical peel is designed to reveal skin that looks as young as you feel. There’s no downtime following a MicroPeel®, and the treatment is performed right here in our office.
How a chemical peel works
While the phrase “chemical peel” may sound painful and scary, don’t worry. Your skin doesn’t actually peel off. With MicroPeel®, we first remove dead skin cells with an exfoliation process called dermaplaning. Next, we’ll apply an alpha hydroxy acid solution, which works by gently dissolving the upper layers of your skin. Finally, we’ll perform a cooling process called cryogenic therapy, which immediately relieves inflammation and soothes the skin.
That’s it! There’s no downtime following a chemical peel, and you’ll see noticeable improvements in the appearance of your skin with each MicroPeel® treatment.
The benefits of a chemical peel
One of the least invasive and most effective ways to improve your complexion, a chemical peel offers a wide range of cosmetic benefits. A chemical peel:
- Diminishes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Reduces the appearance of sun damage, scars, pigmentation, and enlarged pores.
- Improves your skin tone and texture by removing dead and damaged skin cells.
- Reduces the effects of acne and minimizes blemishes.
- Brightens your skin as a result of collagen production and cell renewal.
In addition to facial rejuvenation, certain types of chemical peels can also be used for spot treatment and as a way to remove stretch marks or revitalize skin on other parts of the body.
Different types of chemical peels
Depending on the results you’re hoping to achieve, there’s a perfect peel to suit your needs. Typically, chemical peels are classified as light, medium, and deep.
- A light chemical peel removes the top layer of your skin and is effective at treating fine lines, age spots, skin discoloration, and dryness.
- A medium chemical peel is stronger and penetrates the top and middle layer of the skin to target deep wrinkles, acne, acne scars, and pigmentation.
- A deep chemical peel achieves the most dramatic results as it reaches the lower layer of the skin. It’s effective in banishing severe wrinkles, scars, and blotchiness.
You’re going to love your results
Imagine how wonderful it will feel to look in the mirror and see a more youthful, glowing you smiling back. At Shumway Cosmetic Surgery, we can make this your reality. Call us today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Shumway or to learn more about chemical peels and our other cosmetic treatments.