You’ve made the decision and scheduled the date of the breast augmentation appointment. Now, it’s time to prepare, which is one of the best things you can do for yourself to help ensure that your recovery is as quick and as smooth as possible.
It is imperative that you listen to the counsel of your physician and heed whatever advice she or he gives you regarding preparations for your procedure, but here are some things you can do on your own to prepare for your breast augmentation surgery.
- Schedule any required pre-operative testing. Some doctors may require you to have a mammogram before you go under the knife, particularly if you happen to be over the age of 40. Even if your surgeon doesn’t require one, it might be a good idea for you to get one on your own, as they can prove very helpful down the line.
- Take care of necessary household chores. Make sure to clean the house, take care of laundry, and handle the needs of any pets that you have prior to the surgery. Everyday tasks will become much harder immediately following the procedure, so make sure that you get things in order as best you can ahead of time. Or arrange for someone to help while you are recovering.
- Get your prescriptions filled. Ask your doctor to put in any prescriptions a few days before your surgery so that you don’t have to worry about getting your medications after you leave the hospital.
- Moisturize. If preventing stretch marks is a priority for you, use an excellent moisturizer on your breasts for the weeks prior to the surgery. Nothing can guarantee that you won’t get stretch marks, but it’s good to do what you can to prevent them from being too severe.
- Avoid some habits a few days prior to your procedure. While exercise is undeniably good for your health, it’s a good idea to take it easy for several days leading up to your surgery. Also, abstain from smoking and drinking for the days prior to, and immediately following, your surgery. And most importantly, make sure not to eat or drink anything the night before you are scheduled to go in.
- Wear loose-fitting comfortable clothes. Wear loose shirts, flat shoes that slip on easily, and pants that are easy to step into. The goal should be to make everything as easy as possible.
- Ask someone to drive you. Make arrangements with a friend, family member, or significant other to take you to and from your procedure. And ask your doctor about when it will be safe for you to take up driving again.
If you have any more questions, call us anytime at Shumway Cosmetic Surgery!
Dr. Shumway has been performing breast augmentation surgery and other cosmetic procedures here in La Jolla for over two decades. He is dedicated to providing outstanding care to every single client. And the way he sees it, a big part of his job is to answer questions, inform and educate patients, and to help them feel at ease. All of our staff feels the same way.
A cosmetic procedure is a gift you’re giving yourself, and one of the most important aspects of the process is that you feel comfortable, enthusiastic, and excited about it. If you still have questions, let us answer them.
Give us a call Shumway Cosmetic Surgery today.